Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

Five more minutes... Just. Five more minutes. I've said it before: I am by no means a morning person. On average, I hit the "snooze" button five or six times before I finally decide that I had better get out of bed, throw on some clothes, make coffee, pack breakfast and lunch, and rush off to work. This has been my struggle ever since the thought of Saturday morning cartoons was no longer enough to get me up and around by 6am, at least on Saturdays anyway. Just five more minutes of lying in bed with my eyes closed, pretending to sleep, and waiting for the alarm to go off... again.

What a waste of a morning! There's so much more I could do with that extra bit of time. I'll admit that my New Years resolution of becoming more of a morning person has failed miserably so far. It's time to change gears. As we enter this season of Lent, I have decided to keep trying. Lent is a season of humility. Lent is a season of  sacrifice and self-improvement. Lent is a season for thankfulness of the sacrifice already made for us. This year for Lent I am giving up the "snooze button."

Based on previous years, the question is: "What am I gaining in replacement of this sacrifice?" The answer is simple-- Time. Time to read a devotion, time to go for a run, time to eat a good breakfast, time to call a friend and wish them "Good Morning!"... well, maybe I won't go that far! The point is having time to enjoy the mornings we have been blessed with. Will I succeed? Time will tell.

Here's to Days Just Packed with five more minutes (x 5 or 6) of extra mornings!


1 comment: